Thursday, August 9, 2007

Job-less-ness = Rest-less-ness

Some of you may know that I lost my job to an unforseen circumstance. If you weren't privy, well now you are. Either way, unemployment is my topic of discussion for this early morning. It's so early here, most of you may not have had breakfast yet. But if you are to read and understand, I would suggest a microwaved pop-tart and a glass of cranberry. Delicious, AND nutritious!

Being unemployed has its advantages...well, there is only one. That is, if you feel like wasting away: you can sleep in as much as you want. Something might tell you though, that the pros are more outweighed by the cons than an american sumo wrestler's japan debut. For me, they are as follows.

1: The creation of a sick failure complex. If you can't do the thing you are good at well, it kind of puts a damper on your self-esteem.

2: The creation of a new pro-bono position - job hunter. Being a job hunter is a full-time volunteer position in itself, with the constancy of application fillings out, resume perfecting, the calling of employers to find out why the hell they haven't bothered to look at your resume (being as perfect as it is), and the waiting, but that's number 3.

3: The waiting. It always takes longest to hear from a potential employer when you have nothing else to think about but "I need this job soon".

4: Money. You have shit to pay for. You have things to buy people. You have rent, utilities, and student loans down the road next month. Lack of this capitalistic life-blood (don't worry. I am not a commy. I just wanted to use that term to make me sound smart.) leads to the next con.

5: Worrying. I heard from some movie or show or something, that "worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere." It was a wise quote, in my personal opinion. But to the unemployed, worrying is more like the first song you hear in the morning...it sticks with you all day.

6: Sleep deprivation. Worrying keeps you up, and it's no coincidence that you do it late at night when it's quiet and no one is around. Hence the reason why I leave the sleep timer on the TV set for after I fall alseep. Sorta works.

But the last reason is basically the snowball effect of the last 6

7: Depression. You just sit there and do nothing. You wallow in your own pool of helplessness because to you, nothing can make it right.

Thankfully, I have people around me that are holding up the dam. Word of advice: When you get to symptom 3...analyze your situation. Obviously you are getting impatient, and you want them to call soon. Step back and meditate. Think about all the things (not job related) that make you happy, and create a special place in your brain that you can travel to for future crashes (and they will happen). It will give you time to reboot, and then reassess you situation with a clear mind.

This place, I actually created, through heavy meditation. Most people do not know, but in order for me to cope with situations accurately, through meditation, I created special mechanisms (dubbed Mental Machines) that when "switched on," triggered or activated, help me measure my situations and my amount of emotional responses, and supply the right way to deal with such. The most recently created is the VR Void. The VR Void is like the happy place I spoke of in the last paragraph, but has more options. It's black with white spots like the stars in outerspace, and can supply the whole happy place, but with one major difference. The VR Void can personify and/or animalize my problems. I do this to make them easier to deal with. Basically, my lost job takes on the identity of an old sick pet. She's gonna pass away, might as well put her out of her misery, mourn the death, and eventually go back to the pet store. It will make your children happy (children being family and friends not worrying about you anymore). Makes sense?

Man, I rambled on that one for awhile. But it was kind of therapeutic.

*Lucid Stasis

No comments: